Vintage Rox 18 Watts (Model: VRX18) - Overview
18 and 9 watt modes, 2 channels, with separate Vintage and Modern voicing. The Master Volume control combined with the half power switch, allows cranked up tone at moderate volume levels. Available in a Compact Head, 1x10 Combo, or 1x12 Combo design. The Vintage Rox VRX18 is perfect for those looking for vintage and modern tones, but without the bulk or big price tag.
Vintage Rox VRX18 - Details
The VRX18 Amplifier is a cost effective solution for those players looking for a custom, handwired tube amplifier. Powered by a pair of EL84 tubes, the VRX18 provides warm clean tones and dynamic overdriven tones. Like all our amplifiers, the VRX18 is designed around a carefully tuned circuit, utilizing a handcrafted turret board, and includes reissue Mustard style capacitors, vintage spec'd resistors and custom wound transformers.
The 2 channels are individually voiced and each channels includes a separate Volume Control and Tone Control.
- Channel 1 (Vintage Voicing) offers the most clean headroom of the two channels and also provides an awesome overdriven tone, while not being too oversaturated. This channel provides a good amount of clean head room with a lot of sustain. As you turn up the volume knob, you can control the amount of "grind" in the tone. "Cranked up", the channel provides a distorted vintage tone with great note and pick attack definition. Excellent for clean, grinding blues or classic rock tones.
- Channel 2 (Modern Voicing) utilizes an additional "cascaded" preamp gain stage, that is equivalent to a built in and activated Tube Overdrive. Channel 2 provides significantly more drive and distortion than the first channel. Turning the volume knob up to 6 will provide an overdriven tone equal to most fully cranked up "British" style 18 watt amplifiers. Twisting the volume knob further will provide thicker saturation, increased sustain and a great overdriven tone. Perfect for heavy rhythm, leads and harder rock tones. With all the natural tube distortion this channel provides, you just might want to leave your Distortion and Overdrive pedals at home.
The Solid State rectifier provides extra punch and the "sag" simulator circuitry offers a bit of compression to the overdriven tone. A EZ81 tube rectifier is offered as an option.
Hi/Low B+ voltage switch 1
While 18 watt amplifiers are very popular, there are many occasions when 18 watts is too loud. The VRX18 amplifier is both a 18 watt and 9 watt amplifier via the Hi/Low B+ voltage switch. This allows you to switch the amplifier from 18 down to 9 watts, while maintaining all the tonal qualities. The Hi/Low B+ voltage switch allows you to get the awesome cranked up tone at approximately half the wattage.
Master Volume (PPIMV)- Standard Feature 1
For additional volume control, we have added the Master Volume feature. The PPI-Master Volume design was chosen for its ability to maintain the overdriven tone, without the "buzzy" tone of other Master Volume configurations.
Hi/Low B+ voltage, Half Power Switch (Optional Feature) 2
While low powered amplifiers in the 18-25 watt range are very popular, there are many occasions when they are still too loud. The VRX22 amplifier is both a 22 watt and 10 watt amplifier via the Hi/Low B+ voltage switch. This allows you to switch the amplifier from 22 down to 10 watts, while maintaining all the tonal qualities. The Hi/Low B+ voltage switch allows you to get the awesome cranked up tone at approximately half the wattage.
Combining the use of the Hi/Low B+ voltage switch and the PPI-Master Volume allows you to control the cranked up tone from; bedroom levels to jamming levels.
Features and Specifications:
- Channel 1: Volume and Tone Controls
- Channel 2: Volume and Tone Controls
- Master Volume Control (PPIMV)
- On/Off Switch
- Indicator Lamp
- (2) EL84 Power Tubes
- (2) 12AX7 & (1) 12AT7 Preamp Tubes
- Cathode Biased Power Tubes
- S.S. Rectifier with "sag" circuit
* EZ81 Tube Rectifier - Optional
- Custom Heavy Duty Aluminum Chassis
- Custom "Black" Plexi Front and Back Panels
- ARACOM Power Transformer: hand-wound and interleaved
- ARACOM Output Transformer: hand-wound, interleaved on a paper bobbin
- 4, 8, 16 ohm Speaker Jacks
- Detachable Power Cord (IEC320-C13 Socket)
- External Fuse Holder
- Custom Turret Board (G-10/FR4 Flame Resistant)
- Handwired and Handcrafted in the USA.
Standard Tolex: Black Levant. See options below for other colors.
- Dimensions: 19"w x 8"h x 8.25"d
- Weight: 23 lbs
Standard Tolex: Navy Blue Levant. See options below for other colors.
1x10 Combo: 18"w x 19"h x 10"d
1x12 Combo: 18"w x 19"h x 10"d
1x10 Combo: 36 lbs
1x12 Combo: 39 lbs
1x12: 19"w x 18"h x 10"d
- Weight: 30 lbs (loaded with 12" ALNICO speaker)
click here for a link to the price schedule.
ARACOM Amplfiers is a "Custom Shop", therefore we can assist you in personalizing your amplifier.
Hi/Low B+ voltage, Half Power Switch.
VRX 1x12 Extension Cabinet: A matching cabinet to go along with the VRX head or combo. The convertible 1x12 VRX Extension Cabinet is configurable as an open back or closed back cabinet, via the removable center back panel. Please refer to the weight and dimensions in the specification section above.
Tube Rectifier: The VRX comes standard equipped with a solid state rectifier, which includes a "sag" simulator circuit. This circuit emulates the "sag" associated with a tube rectifier. As an option the VRX18 is available a EZ81 tube rectifier. The tube rectifier replaces the solid state rectifier circuitry.
Tolex Color Options: Standard tolex colors - Head: Black Levant tolex  Combos: Navy Blue Levant tolex. However, we offer many styles and colors of tolex. Please contact us for colors and pricing.
Speaker Options: We carry Jensen, Celestion, Eminence and Weber speakers. Please contact us for speaker options.
Refer to the ARACOM Price List for the option prices.
Vintage Rox Pricing:
Vintage Rox VRX18 Head $1,095
Vintage Rox VRX18 Combo with 10" Jensen ALNICO Speaker $1,225
Vintage Rox VRX18 Combo with 12" Jensen Ceramic Speaker $1,225
Vintage Rox VRX18 Combo with 12" Eminence Red Fang ALNICO Speaker $1,355
Vintage Rox Extension Cabinets starting at $400
For more pricing information, please see the link below under "Related Pages" for our latest price schedule.
Vinyl covers are available for the VRX18 Series, click here for details.
1. Post Phase Inverter Master Volume control (PPIMV). The PPI-Master Volume control attenuates the signal just before power amp section, eliminate much of the buzzy sounding overdrive found in other Master Volume designs. The PPI-Master Volume control is effectively bypassed when turned all the way up.
2. The Hi/Low B+ Voltage, Half Power switch in the half power mode, is equivalent to turning a VARIAC down from 120VAC to 85 VAC, but maintaining the correct heater voltages. The low B+ mode allows for a "tweed" or "brown" tone and provides a natural overdriven tone at approximately half the wattage. Other companies tend to utilize a Pentode/Triode switch to lower the wattage, which is often detrimental to tone.
Additional VRX Pics Vintage Rox 18 Watt Amp Pricing Sound Clips Testimonials Reviews
Vintage Guitar Magazine
ARACOM VRX18 Review in the Sept 2009 issue of Vintage Guitar Magazine
Vintage Guitar Magazine VRX18 Review
Additional VRX Pics Vintage Rox 22 Watt Amp Pricing Sound Clips Testimonials Reviews
* California Residents add 8.25% sales tax.
Pricing and specifications subject to change without notice.
Vintage Rox (VRX) is a trademark of ARACOM Amplifiers.