The EVOLVER Series
"Plexi" or "JTM" tone in a custom handwired amp, with the versatility and convenience of having Channel Switching with simultaneous Master Volume Control bypass, along with a built in Tube Overdrive feature.
Looking for an amplifier with the classic "British" tone, with features that allows added versatility for live performances?
Evolver - Overview
The Evolver's channel switching design provides a Clean Channel with the Master Volume Control completely bypassed and a separate Lead Channel with the Master Volume Control simultaneously activated. The Clean Channel allows for maximum clean headroom and the Lead Channel with Master Volume Control activated, allows the overdriven volume to be set to an appropriate level. Plus the addition of the foot pedal activated - Tube Overdrive, allows for a highly versatile amplifier.
- Evolver 50: EL34/6550/KT88 based
- Evolver 45: 6L6GC/KT66 based
EVOLVER - Details:
Channel and Tube Overdrive Switching
Channel Switching with simultaneous Master Volume Control bypass, via remote footswitch:
Master Volume Control "bypassed", for maximum clean headroom.
Master Volume Control "activated", allows for overdriven rhythm and lead tones. Channel 2 includes a Tube Overdrive effect that is activated via the remote footswitch. The Tube Overdrive can be used as a "lead" boost or be used to create a separate distorted rhythm tone. Separate Volume and Tone controls are provided for the Tube Overdrive effect. The Tube Overdrive provides a very "organic" distortion and not the typical "buzzy" distortion as found in some high gain amplifiers.
The remote foot switch allows you to select from 3 distinct tones:
Clean - Channel 1
Distorted - Channel 2
Lead - Channel 2 with the Tube Overdrive activated
Master Volume (PPIMV) 1
The PPI-Master Volume design was chosen for its ability to maintain the overdriven tone, without the "buzzy" tone of other Master Volume configurations.
Bright and Bright Cut Switches
While the "Global" Tone Control knobs adjust the overall tone, the Bright and Bright Cut switches allows you to "tweak" the final tone of each channel.
Channel 1 - Bright Channel; "Bright" Cut Switch, for those who want to decrease the high end on this channel.
Channel 2 - Darker, Lead Channel; "Bright" Switch, for those who want to "Brighten" up this channel.
Activating this switch will also "tighten" up the low end.
The global bite switch adds subtle gain to the "mids". Comes in handy when just a bit more gain is required.
Popular Cabinet Configurations
You can select head, 1x12, 2x10 or 2x12 combo cabinet configurations.
- 2 Channels, + built in Tube Overdrive
- Channel Switching via remote footswitch
- Front Panel manual Channel and Overdrive Switching
- On/Off Switch
- Standby Switch
- Indicator Lamp
- Channel and Overdrive "On" LEDs
- Custom Aluminum Knobs
- Custom Heavy Duty Aluminum Chassis
- Custom "Black" Plexi Front and Back Panels
- ARACOM Power Transformer: hand-wound and interleaved
- ARACOM Output Transformer: hand-wound, interleaved on a paper bobbin
- Impedance Switch:
4, 8, 16 ohm
- (2) Speaker Jacks
- Detachable Power Cord (IEC320-C13 Socket)
- External Fuse Holder
- Custom Turret Board (G-10/FR4 Flame Resistant)
- Reissue Mustard Capacitors (MIL-STD. 202 C)
- Handwired and Handcrafted in the USA
Channel 1 "Bright Channel"
- Single Volume Control
- Bright Cut Switch
Channel 2 "Normal Channel"
- Single Volume Control
- Bright Switch
- Built in Tube Overdrive (activated via remote footswitch)
- Master Volume Control (PPIMV type)
- Three Knob Tone Control
- "Bite" Switch (slight mid boost)
- Pre-amp tubes: (4) 12AX7
- Power Amp Tubes:
Evolver 45: (2) 6L6GC or KT66
Evolver 50: (2) EL34, 6550 or KT88
Evolver 45: Solid State, (Weber Copper Cap Solid State GZ34) Optional
Evolver 50: Solid State
- Approximate Output Power:
Evolver 45 (6L6GC): 45/22 watts
Evolver 45 (KT66): 35/17 watts
Evolver 50 (EL34): 60/30 watts
Evolver 50 (6550/KT88): 65/32 watts
- Input AC Voltage:
120 VAC. Other voltages available.
Standard Tolex: Smooth Black Taurus. See options below for other colors.
- Dimensions: 26”w x 9”h x 8.25”d
- Weight: 32 lbs
Standard Tolex: Black Levant. See options below for other colors.
1x12, 2x10 Combos: 24”w x 20.5”h x 10”d
2x12 Combo: 28”w x 20.5”h x 10”d
1x12, 2x10 Combos: 58 lbs
2x12 Combo: 68 lbs
For those who do not require the switching features or prefer the standard "4 hole" Marshall configuration, please see our PLX and MPL Amplifier Series
We offer many of the Evolver's features as options on the PLX and MPL Series Amplifiers.
ARACOM Amplfiers is a "Custom Shop", therefore we can assist you in personalizing your amplifier.
Hi/Low B+ voltage switch 2 :
Lower powered 18-20 watt amplifiers are very popular, since you can crank them up while maintaining a lower overall volume level. The Evolver is both a medium and low powered amplifier with the optional Hi/Low B+ voltage switch. This allows you to switch the amplifier from the maximum wattage to the half wattage mode, while maintaining the tonal qualities. The Hi/Low B+ voltage switch allows you to get the awesome "cranked up" tone at approximately half the wattage.
Combining the use of the Hi/Low B+ voltage switch and the PPI-Master Volume allows you to control the cranked up tone from; bedroom levels to stage levels.
Tolex Color Options: The standard tolex colors are: Head - Smooth Black Taurus tolex, Combos - Black Levant tolex. However, we offer many styles and colors of tolex. Please contact us for details and pricing.
Effects Loop: The Loop includes Send and Return Volume Control knobs with a push-pull true bypass switch.
NOS Options: For those who prefer original components as compared to reissue, we offer NOS Phillips/Mullard Mustard capacitors and NOS or tested new Old Stock pre-amp and power amp tubes.
Speaker Options: We carry Jensen, Celestion, Eminence and Weber speakers. Please contact us for speaker options.
Vinyl covers are available for the Evolver Series, click here for details.
1. Post Phase Inverter Master Volume control (PPIMV). The PPI-Master Volume control attenuates the signal just before power amp section, eliminate much of the buzzy sounding overdrive found in other Master Volume designs. The PPI-Master Volume control is effectively bypassed when turned all the way up.
2. The Hi/Low B+ mode is equivalent to turning a VARIAC down from 120VAC to 85 VAC, but maintaining the correct heater voltages. The low B+ mode allows for a "tweed" or "brown" tone and provides a natural overdriven tone at approximately half the wattage. Other companies tend to utilize a Pentode/Triode switch to lower the wattage, which is often detrimental to tone.
Pricing Sound Clips Testimonials Reviews
Pricing and specifications subject to change without notice.
Evolver is a trademark of ARACOM Amplifiers.